Opening Doors

To Your Immigration Dreams

30 years of experience

Can an asylee help family move to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2020 | Asylum

It is important for family members to be together. However, togetherness can be difficult when you live in a different country than your family members do.

Fortunately, there can be ways to help your family move to the United States. The best way to do this may depend on your situation.

You may add some family members to your application

If you are seeking asylum, you can include your spouse and your unmarried children under age 21 on your application. They can be added when you initially file your application or any time before a final decision is made on your case.

You can petition for certain relatives to move here

If you have been granted asylum within the last two years, you can still help certain relatives move to the U.S., but the process will be different. You may file an I-730 petition for your spouse or unmarried children. Your unmarried children must have been younger than 21 years old at the time you were granted asylum.

To be eligible to petition for your spouse or children, the following must also be true:

  • You are a principal asylee, which means that you were granted your status directly and not through a relative.
  • You still have your asylee status or you have received a Green Card and become a permanent resident.
  • Your family relationship existed before you were granted asylum.

There can be different ways to try to bring your family together in the U.S. However, the best option will most likely depend on your situation. It can also be helpful to keep in mind that if your situation changes, like if you become a permanent resident or U.S. citizen, your options to help family members immigrate to the country will also change.