Law Offices of George Giosmas

25 years of experience

deportation defense Archives

Finding funds for minor undocumented immigrants

Under the Constitution, a person who has been taken into custody in Florida and throughout the United States has the right to an attorney. If that person cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided. However, this is not the case for those who are going through deportation proceedings. The law considers a deportation case to be a civil matter as opposed to a criminal one.

Deportation of man after 30 years in the country

Florida residents might have heard about the case of a man who was deported to Mexico after living in the United States for 30 years. He was brought to the country by his uncle as a 10-year-old. The man, who lived in Michigan with his American wife and children, had been trying to resolve his immigration status since the couple married in 2002.

How to obtain a stay of removal

If an immigrant living in Florida is selected for removal from the United States, it may be possible to obtain a stay of that action. This may be done automatically if an appeal is filed in a timely manner. If an appeal is made, it will be reviewed by the Board of Immigration Appeals. If a stay is granted, it will be in effect until a final decision can be made on the case.

Efforts begin to keep undocumented student in the U.S.

Florida residents might like to know about one immigration case that is making headlines. A wrong turn around 20 miles east of San Diego meant that a UC Berkeley student and his girlfriend found themselves at a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint on Dec. 30. This was a problem because the 20-year-old student was an undocumented alien who arrived in the U.S. from Colombia on a visa when he was 11-years-old.