Opening Doors

To Your Immigration Dreams

30 years of experience

What if I want to help my parents immigrate to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Apr 21, 2021 | Immigration Process

You may have left your home country to attend university in the United States. You were lucky to find a job after you finished a degree and now you’ve called Florida home for more than a decade. Now, you want to help your parents who still live in Guatemala immigrate here, especially since you want them to know your children.

How can you start the immigration process for your parents? You know it will take time and be complicated.

Helping parents immigrate

First, you should know you need to meet the following requirements to help your parents immigrate:

1.       You must be 21 years old.

2.       You must be a citizen of the United States.

3.       You need to be willing and able to economically support your parents once they are in the United States.

Second, you need to consult an immigration attorney before your formally apply for a Green Card for your parents.

Your need to consult an immigration attorney, so you don’t make any mistakes when applying for a Green Card for your parents. An attorney can help you gather the documentation you need to submit with the Green Card application and help you through the process step-by-step. An attorney also can help you if immigration official deny your parents’ Green Card applications.

What about other family members?

If you have siblings still living in your home country, you can sponsor them to receive Green Cards too. If you have grandparents who want to immigrate, your parents can sponsor them once your parents become citizens. Your parents also could sponsor their siblings, your aunts and uncles, if they want to immigrate to the United States.

Family immigration can take years, but it can happen. With an attorney’s help, you can help your parents, siblings and possibly other family members begin new lives and experience the American Dream.